"Stoning" is an Item Power associated with the Nature Realm. It may be added to Magical Weapons created for Heroes, via either Enchant Item or Create Artifact. It causes attacks made by the weapon to deliver a Stoning Touch Attack. Some of the 250 premade Items possess this power, and these can be found mainly as Treasure during the campaign.
Stoning Weapons have imbibed a dissolutus of cockatrices' petrifying venom. This amounts to a timid imitation of an attack by a real cockatrice swarm. Nevertheless, the Weapon has a chance of turning its victims to stone.
Stoning is automatically used whenever the Hero makes an attack affected by their weapon ( Melee Attack with a Sword or Mace; Melee or Thrown Attack with an Axe; Ranged Missile Attack with a Bow; or Ranged Magical Attack with a Wand or Staff).
When used, it forces the target unit to make one Resistance roll per figure in the source unit. To resolve this effect, the game rolls a random number between 1 and 10. This is then compared to the target's current Resistance -1. If the rolled number is higher than the modified Resistance score, the target unit is struck for Irreversible Damage Points equal to the full Hit Points of one of its Figures, slaying one figure instantly and possibly inflicting further Damage to the next figure in line.
Timing within the Melee Attack Edit
- Stoning takes effect at the same time the weapon's normal damage is resolved. For Bows, Staves, or Wands, it does not apply during Melee combat at all. For Axes, Maces, and Swords, it functions as a Melee Touch Attack. For Axes, if the Hero possesses a Thrown Attack, it is also added to this attack (allowing the Hero to effectively use the ability twice on each voluntary attack).
- As a Melee Touch Attack, Stoning is executed simultaneously with the unit's Melee Damage; thus, figures destroyed by a Thrown, Breath, Gaze Attacks or First Strike will not deliver Stoning, and figures destroyed by Stoning will still deliver damage unless the unit is attacking and has First Strike (or a Thrown Attack, in case of Axes).
- Units with Stoning Immunity and/or Magic Immunity are impervious to Stoning. They do not need to make any Resistance rolls, instead completely ignoring the attack.
- Also, any unit with 10 remaining after all factors have been computed, as well as any Charmed hero, is rendered effectively invulnerable to Stoning by virtue of its resistance score.
- Malleus is armed with The Ossifier, one of the game's pre-defined Staves with the "Stoning" power. For irony's sake he fires his Ranged Attack at a unit of 4 Cockatrices. Because the hero is 1 Figure, the cockatrices will make 1 resistance roll against stoning, at -1. The -3 Spell Save on The Ossifier does not affect this attack. If the roll fails, the unit is struck for the max health of one cockatrice figure: 3.
- On the other hand, if the cockatrice unit manages to close in and engage the hero, he has to make 4 resistance rolls— one for each attacking figure. Worse, these are made at -3, the magnitude of the cockatrices' own Stoning Touch. He will take his entire Health in damage each time he fails a resist roll. Because a staff's powers do not affect melee combat, he is unable to counter with his own stoning touch in this case.
There are a number of Item Powers that inflict a resist or suffer effect on the Hero's target. This Power, Stoning, save at -1 or be stoned is conspicuously cheaper than the other options, is available through Enchant Item, and still inflicts a Resist Penalty.
Commendable as this is, none of these powers are as tough as the in-game descriptions seem to advertise, on account of their being Touch Attacks:
- Victims of a Touch Attack make 1 resist roll per attacking figure, and Heroes are Single-Figure.
- Touch Attacks are designed to scale up with Multi-Figure Units, so individually their effects are paltry.
- Dangerous enemies often either have 10, or something close, remaining after Stoning's resist penalty, or could be immune to stoning altogether.
In essence, "Stoning" only gets one chance to succeed per attack, only kills one Figure if it does so, and might not be of much use at all against particularly dangerous creatures. Unlike a straight defense or damage boost, this power requires some reflection about what sort of opponents you expect your Heroes to be facing.
At only 150, and modified by the relevant retorts, though, this Power gives no serious cause for complaint. Compare with Destruction, which affects a larger range of creatures but costs an exorbitant 1,000.
Other Item Powers that inflict a resist or suffer effect on the Hero's target:
|Destruction||5||Resist or suffer ×|
|Vampiric||5||Suffer d10 −|
|Death||3||-3||Resist or suffer ×|
|Holy Avenger||3||-4||Resist or suffer ×|
|Stoning||2||-1||Resist or suffer ×|
Create Artifact Edit
- Main article: Item Crafting
With 2, "Stoning" may be added to Magical Weapons of your own design through Enchant Item or Create Artifact. Making strong Items by these means is expensive and time-consuming, but cheaper through the Artificer and Runemaster Retorts.
- Main article: Magical Items in Treasure
The game data files contain 250 pre-defined Items. Of these, ten possess the "Stoning" power. The power causes a premade Item to demand that the Wizard have particular Spellbooks in order to appear in Treasure, and the requirements are irregular.
There are three different ways by which you can acquire one of these pre-defined Items:
- By winning a difficult Encounter.
- By purchasing it from a Merchant, a random petitioner.
- As result of a Random Event called "The Gift".
It is often better to acquire items in this way, as it means you do not need to spend any time or Mana to create them. Still, Items found through these means are in no way guaranteed to exactly suit your needs.
The table below lists the pre-defined Items with this power.
|Premade Items with "Stoning"|
|Item||Attributes||Realm Powers||Required Ranks|
|600||Axe of Stone||4|| Stoning|| ||2|
|750||Sword of Medusa||2||2|| Stoning|| Flaming||2|
|1350||The Ossifier||2||10||-3|| Stoning|| ||2|
|1400||Bow of the Golden Horde||5||1||5|| Stoning|| ||2|
|1500||Stick of the Mage||1||3||15|| Stoning|| ||2|
|1550||Stoning Sword||2||3|| Stoning|| ||2|
|1050||The Hartshone||3||2|| Elemental Armor|| Stoning||4||2|
|1750||Life Bow||6||3|| Elemental Armor|| Stoning||4||2|
|1800||Wand of the Guardian||1|| Guardian Wind|
|1800||Morphains Friend||4|| Elemental Armor|