Touch Attack: weapon-triggered attack versus units belonging to the Death and Chaos realms.
"Holy Avenger" is an Item Power available through Life Magic. It may be added to Melee Weapons created for Heroes via Create Artifact. It simultaneously protects the wielder from and offers better offensive capabilities against the realms of Death and Chaos. Some of the 250 premade Items possess this power, and these can be found mainly as Treasure during the campaign.
A "Holy Avenger" weapon bears a magical contract prepared by a Wizard and his clerics. It puts divine energy at the disposal of any who wield the weapon to fulfill a mandate of the Life Realm: whether to set crimes aright, or punish the servants of evil and avenge those who have been irreversibly wronged.
"Holy Avenger" has two effects.
Dispel Evil Edit
When used, it forces the target unit to make one Resistance roll per figure in the source unit. To resolve this effect, the game rolls a random number between 1 and 10. This is then compared to the target's current Resistance -4 (-9 if Undead). If the rolled number is higher than the modified Resistance score, the target unit is struck for Irreversible Damage Points equal to the full Hit Points of one of its Figures, slaying one figure instantly and possibly inflicting further Damage to the next figure in line.
Timing within the Melee Attack Edit
- Dispel Evil takes effect at the same time the weapon's normal damage is resolved. For Axes, Maces, and Swords, it functions as a Melee Touch Attack. For Axes, if the Hero possesses a Thrown Attack, it is also added to this attack (allowing the Hero to effectively use the ability twice on each voluntary attack).
- As a Melee Touch Attack, Dispel Evil is executed simultaneously with the unit's Melee Damage; thus, figures destroyed by a Thrown, Breath, Gaze Attacks or First Strike will not deliver Dispel Evil, and figures destroyed by Dispel Evil will still deliver damage unless the unit is attacking and has First Strike (or a Thrown Attack, in case of Axes).
- Units that are not Chaos or Death are totally immune to this power, as are units with Magic Immunity. They do not need to make any Resistance rolls, instead completely ignoring the attack.
- Also, any unit with 10 remaining after all factors have been computed, as well as any Charmed hero, is rendered effectively invulnerable to Dispel Evil by virtue of its resistance score.
- Main article: Bless (Item Power)
"Holy Avenger" also protects the wielder with the effect of a Bless spell. It grants +3 and +3 versus combat effects and attacks by units belonging to the Death and Chaos realms.
This is one of the most situational Item Powers available. When not fighting the forces of Death or Chaos, the property is dead weight, but in Encounters or protracted wars against Wizards aligned with these realms, it is a lovely Power to have along.
The Dispel Evil Touch Attack's high Resist Penalty distinguishes it as the strongest weapon-triggered Touch Attack in cases where it applies. In a hard battle, it may prove more useful than other special attacks bestowed by Magical Items. With its protective, non-dispellable Bless effect, "Holy Avenger" does not appear as overpriced as other special weapon powers.
A Touch Attack made by a Hero is, nevertheless, not quite as good as the ingame descriptions advertise. Touch Attacks face three main obstacles:
- Units targeted by a Touch Attack make 1 resist roll per attacking figure, and Heroes are Single-Figure.
- Touch Attacks are designed to scale up with Multi-Figure Units, so individually their effects are paltry.
- Particularly dangerous foes can usually succeed on their resistance rolls, meaning that the power diminishes in hard fights. "Holy Avenger" nevertheless presents the most difficult touch attack to resist, where it has any effect at all.
There are a number of Item Powers that inflict a resist or suffer effect on the Hero's target, and all of them are guilty of these shortcomings to some degree:
|Destruction||5||Resist or suffer ×|
|Vampiric||5||Suffer d10 −|
|Death||3||-3||Resist or suffer ×|
|Holy Avenger||3||-4||Resist or suffer ×|
|Stoning||2||-1||Resist or suffer ×|
Create Artifact Edit
- Main article: Item Crafting
With 3, "Holy Avenger" may be added to a Weapon of your own design through Create Artifact. Making strong Items through this spell is an incredibly expensive and time-consuming process. Some recipes are more expensive than the Spell of Mastery. The proposition is made more reasonable by the Artificer and Runemaster Retorts.
- Main article: Magical Items in Treasure
The game data files contain 250 pre-defined Items. Of these, ten possess the "Holy Avenger" power. This power causes a premade Item to demand that the Wizard have particular Spellbooks in order to appear in Treasure, and the requirements are irregular.
There are three different ways by which you can acquire one of these pre-defined Items:
- By winning a difficult Encounter.
- By purchasing it from a Merchant, a random petitioner.
- As result of a Random Event called "The Gift".
It is often better to acquire items in this way, as it means you do not need to spend any time or Mana to create them. Still, Items found through these means are in no way guaranteed to exactly suit your needs.
The table below lists the pre-defined "Holy Avenger" items.
|Premade Items with "Holy Avenger"|
|Item||Attributes||Realm Powers||Required Ranks|
|1150||Right Hand 0f Justice||2||1||1|| Holy Avenger|| ||3|
|1900||Inquisitor||2||2||10|| Holy Avenger|| ||3|
|2200||Axe of the Apostles||6||2|| Holy Avenger|| ||3|
|1350||Freyas Friend||3||1|| Holy Avenger|| Power Drain||4||3|
|2950||Thors Hammer||4||3|| Lightning|| Holy Avenger||5||3|
|2900||Sword of Mephisto||3||2|| Chaos|| Holy Avenger||6||3|
|3700||Gabriels Axe||6||2|| Holy Avenger|| Phantasmal||3||6|
|3050||Hand of God||1||10|| Haste|| Holy Avenger||3||7|
|2000||Ultimate Defense||3|| Elemental Armor|
| Magic Immunity||3||4||5|
|2200||Axe of Light||10|| Elemental Armor|
| Magic Immunity||3||4||5|