Fandom

Master of Magic Wiki

Call Chaos

765pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Comments4 Share
Call Chaos
Realm Icon Chaos.pngChaos
Spell Rarity Very Rare
Spell Type Combat Instant *
Combat Casting Cost Icon Mana.png 75
Research Cost Icon Research.png 3,000
Effects

Every enemy unit on the battlefield is stricken by one of the following spell effects, selected at random:

Call Chaos is a Very Rare Combat Instant belonging to the Icon Chaos.pngChaos Magic realm. It may only be cast during combat, for the base Casting Cost of Icon Mana.png 75. When the spell is cast, it will target each of the enemy's units with one of 8 possible effects, each corresponding with a specific spell. The result can be beneficial to the target, but most often is detrimental. Some of the effects are instant, others are permanent, and they are executed as per the rules of the spell that normally inflicts them.

Call Chaos runs its course instantly, and thus does not linger, may not be dispelled, and does not require any Upkeep Costs. Some of its subsidiary effects on enemy units may be possible to dispel, again depending on which effects were created.

Effects Edit

Call Chaos will cause a flurry of uncontrolled magical energy to sweep through the enemy army. Due to its wild nature, the spell may inflict a variety of effects on the enemy units (some possibly positive!), which may or may not have a lasting effect on the target units.

There is a total of 8 possible effects, chosen at random for each enemy unit. One possible effect is "nothing", meaning that the unit suffers no ill effect nor benefit.

Random Effects Edit

When Call Chaos is cast, each enemy unit rolls a random number between 1 and 8. The result determines the effect that Call Chaos will have on that unit.

The list of possible effects is as follows:

  1. Healing, as per the Healing spell.
  2. Chaos Channels, as per the Chaos Channels spell.
  3. Warp Creature, as per the Warp Creature spell.
  4. Fire Bolt, as per the Fire Bolt spell (at strength Icon Ranged Magic.png 15).
  5. Warp Lightning, as per the Warp Lightning spell.
  6. Doom Bolt, as per the Doom Bolt spell.
  7. Disintegration, as per the Disintegrate spell.
  8. No effect: the unit has avoided Call Chaos entirely.

These effects do not cost Call Chaos' caster any additional Icon Mana.png Mana - they are all part of the original spell.

There is an equal chance for the game to choose any of the above effects for any unit. Note of course that some units are invulnerable to some of the above effects, and thus will not experience any benefit or detriment.

Since the choice is random for each enemy unit, it is possible for all enemy units to receive the same effect by fluke - though it is more likely to have no more than two enemy units afflicted by the same effect.

Option #1: Healing Edit

Main article: Healing
When this option is chosen, the target unit is healed by Icon Hits.png 5 Hit Points, as per the rules of the Healing spell. If the unit is already at full health, the effect will simply do nothing.
Lost figures in a Icon MultiFigureUnit.png Multi-Figure Units may return to life as a result of this effect (again, read the Healing article for more details).
Undead units do not receive any healing.

Option #2: Chaos Channels Edit

Main article: Chaos Channels
When this option is chosen, the target unit is targeted by a Chaos Channels spell, giving it one of the possible benefits of that spell (Icon Defense.png +2, Flying, or Fire Breath 2) at random. It is also permanently associated with the Icon Chaos.pngChaos Realm.
If the target unit is a Fantastic Creature of any realm, it will not be affected by Chaos Channels at all. Units already mutated by a previous Chaos Channels spell will not be affected again either.
The Chaos Channels effect is completely permanent, and may not be removed from the unit in any normal means. There are ways to remove it, but they are esoteric (read more on this in the Chaos Channels article).

Option #3: Warp Creature Edit

Main article: Warp Creature
When this option is chosen, the target unit is targeted by a Warp Creature spell, giving it one of the possible penalties from that spell (Icon Melee Normal.png Melee Attack Strength halved, Icon Defense.png Defense halved, or Resistance set to Icon Resist.png 0), at random.
The target may make a Resistance roll at a penalty of Icon Resist.png -1 against this spell. If the roll succeeds, the unit avoids the Warp Creature effect entirely.
The Warp Creature effect is considered a Unit Curse, and will continue to affect the targeted unit until the end of the battle. It can be dispelled by the enemy wizard targeting the unit with a Dispel Magic or similar spell.
Enemy units possessing Magic Immunity will automatically resist this effect.

Option #4: Fire Bolt Edit

Main article: Fire Bolt
When this option is chosen, the target unit is stricken by a Fire Bolt - a Fire Damage attack. This particular Fire Bolt has a strength of Icon Ranged Magic.png 15.
This firebolt will cause up to Icon Damage.png 15, with an average damage output of Icon Damage.png 4.5. The higher the target's Icon Defense.png, the lower the average damage output.
Since Fire Bolt delivers Fire Damage, targets possessing Fire Immunity and/or Magic Immunity will suffer no damage from it (though technically they might in case of Fire Immunity - it's just extremely improbable).

Option #5: Warp Lightning Edit

Main article: Warp Lightning
When this option is chosen, the target unit is stricken by a succession of 10 Armor Piercing Magical Damage attacks of decreasing strength, as per the Warp Lightning spell.
The first attack has a strength of Icon Ranged Magic.png 10, the second has Icon Ranged Magic.png 9, and so on in decreasing strength until the last (tenth) attack delivers only Icon Ranged Magic.png 1. The target may make Defense rolls against each of these attacks, as per the normal combat rules.
Because these attacks deliver Magical Damage, targets possessing Magic Immunity will suffer no damage from them (though technically they might - it's just extremely improbable).

Option #6: Doom Bolt Edit

Main article: Doom Bolt
When this option is chosen, the target unit will suffer exactly Icon Damage.png 10 Magical Damage, as per the Doom Bolt spell. None of the target's defensive properties will help reduce this damage - it is always exactly Icon Damage.png 10.
Only targets with Magic Immunity will avoid this Icon Damage.png 10 - they will suffer no damage at all.

Option #7: Disintegration Edit

Main article: Disintegrate
When this option is chosen, the target unit is stricken by the Disintegrate spell. If the target has a Resistance score of Icon Resist.png 9 or less, it is immediately destroyed - regardless of any other unit properties.
Targets with Icon Resist.png 10 or higher will ignore this effect completely.

Option #8: Nothing Edit

If this option is chosen, the target experiences no positive or negative effects from Call Chaos whatsoever.

Usage Edit

Screenshot CallChaos

Units in the enemy army being afflicted by various Call Chaos effects. The two units on the right are being Healed, the one in the center is undergoing Warp Lightning, the one in the bottom left is hit by a Fire Bolt, and the one in the top left may be suffering one of 3 other possible effects.

Call Chaos may only be cast during combat, for the very high Casting Cost of Icon Mana.png 75. It will immediately target each creature in the enemy army, roll to determine the effect on each creature separately, and apply the chosen effects.

The spell itself then dissipates entirely. Call Chaos may not be dispelled and does not carry on after combat. However, some of its subsidiary may linger on until the end of the battle, and one effect (Chaos Channels) will remain even after the battle is over, if the affected unit manages to survive at all. In any case, there is absolutely no Upkeep Cost associated with Call Chaos or its effects.

When Call Chaos is cast, the animations on the battle screen will indicate to some extent which effect was selected for which enemy unit:

  • Units affected by Healing, Warp Lightning or Disintegrate will have an animation corresponding to these specific spells. Healing produces a beam of light, Warp Lightning is a set of squiggly shimmering red lines, and Disintegrate shows a cloud of brown smoke with flaming specks.
  • Units affected by Warp Creature, Doom Bolt or Chaos Channels will show the red, spiraling column of magical energy normally associated with Warp Creature.
  • Units hit by a Fire Bolt will show the same effect as that given for the Flame Strike spell.
  • Units for whom option #8 was chosen ("nothing") will not show any animations.

Units afflicted with Warp Creature will turn purple with a bright outline as long as they remain under its effect. Also, units afflicted with either Warp Creature or Chaos Channels will now have the appropriate bonus/penalty they received, listed in their abilities panel.

Acquisition Edit

As a Very Rare Icon Chaos.pngChaos spell, Call Chaos may become available to any Wizard who possesses at least Icon Chaos.png3 Spellbooks. However, its availability during the game is not guaranteed unless the Wizard acquires at least Icon Chaos.png10 Spellbooks.

Call Chaos may not be acquired at the start of the campaign regardless of how many Spellbooks the wizard possesses. It must either be Researched during the game, or acquired through other means.

Wizards with Icon Chaos.png3 to Icon Chaos.png9 Spellbooks have a random chance of being able to Research Call Chaos during the game. The chance for this spell to appear for research increases with the number of Icon Chaos.pngChaos Spellbooks the Wizard possesses or obtains during gameplay. With Icon Chaos.png10 or Icon Chaos.png11 Spellbooks, the spell is guaranteed to appear for Research at some point, if it is not already available for casting.

Call Chaos has a base Research Cost of Icon Research.png 3,000.

With at least Icon Chaos.png3 Spellbooks, the Call Chaos spell may be acquired as a reward for winning encounters in creature Lairs, Towers, et cetera, or when conquering the Fortress of a rival wizard who has already researched this spell.

Strategy Edit

Call Chaos is very much a gamble, but has its odds skewed far enough that it is usually quite powerful. So while casting this spell can have unintentionally bad consequences (healing enemy units or imbuing them with chaotic powers), on the whole it is far more likely to cause destruction to a large part of the enemy force.

As a gamble, it is important to assess whether casting Call Chaos at any particular time justifies its high Casting Cost or presents too much of a risk.

In a typical situation, each enemy unit has a 2 in 8 (25%) chance of benefitting from the spell (being Healed or Chaos Channeled), and an additional 1 in 8 (12.5%) chance of experiencing nothing. This leaves a 5 in 8 (62.5%) chance that the enemy unit will be stricken by one of the other, more or less dangerous effects.

Of course, specific types of units may have different odds. For example, Fantastic Creatures do not benefit from the Chaos Channels effect, so these units present less of a risk to Call Chaos' caster. Such units will have a 12.5% chance of being Healed, 25% chance of nothing happening, and 62.5% chance of suffering in ill effect. Therefore, if the enemy army is comprised only (or majorly) of Fantastic Creatures, casting Call Chaos on that army is far less risky.

This is especially true for armies composed of the Undead, as they can suffer neither the Chaos Channel effect nor the benefits of Healing. Thus, each unit has a 62.5% chance of suffering an ill effect, and 37.5% of not feeling any effect - thus no risk is involved.

Conversely, armies comprised of units with very high Resistance values, such as though lead by an Arch Angel or neutral monsters guarding a Node, will be immune to most of the negative effects bestowed by Call Chaos. With all or most creatures in the enemy army having a Resistance score of Icon Resist.png 10 or higher, the Warp Creature and Disintegration effects will likely do nothing against them, reducing the odds of a negative effect inflicting those units to only 37.5%. This can easily make Call Chaos' Casting Cost too high, compared to other destructive spells that Icon Chaos.pngChaos-wielding wizards can utilize.

Known Bugs Edit

The Call Chaos spell shows weird behaviour. For one, it's sometimes hard to figure out, by which effect a unit was struck:

Secondly, Disintegrate will work the same way as the corresponding spell, only if the target's Resistance score is Icon Resist.png 9 or lower. If target's Resistance score is Icon Resist.png 10 or higher, then one of the following 2 options will happen:

  • Disintegrate kills the entire unit. In contrast to the real Disintegrate spell, this damage is not irreversible, so the unit may be revived by certain spells or it may regenerate after battle. On the other hand, the damage done may exceed the typical Icon Damage.png 200.
  • Disintegrate behaves as one of the other 6 spell effects of Call Chaos.

Which option happens is hard to figure out. Imagine a Tower of Wizardry guarded by a single Sky Drake. The Drake has Magic Immunity as well as a Resistance score above Icon Resist.png 9, so it shouldn't be effected by Disintegrate in theory. Nonetheless, it will be killed every time the Call Chaos' Disintegrate animation is shown. Now imagine a stack consisting of 8 Sky Drakes. If the Disintegrate animation is shown on the Drake which moves first (the one standing mid-left front-row), then it will die. If the Disintegrate animation is shown over any other Drake, it will most likely stay unharmed.

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.